[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 11:13:50 UTC 2009

droodle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an reporting tool that i need to syncronise between several
> servers.
>
> I want to make the central reporting tool the primary time server
>
> then there will be several remote servers that i want to syncronise
> the time with so they are all in sync
>
> can this be acheived with w32time or is this purely for domain
> situations as these servers will either be in different domains or
> workgroups ?
[]
> Any other suggestions
>
> thanks.

droodle,

Although it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, I have abandoned
w32time in favour of using NTP on all my Windows PCs.  NTP allows you to
sync your PCs, and will sync your central server to a UTC reference source
such as Internet servers or a GPS/PPS source.  The NTP I recommend
replaces w32time, and can be downloaded from:

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

I hope someone else may be able to help you with using w32time, should you
need to take that route.  Also, check:
  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216734

Cheers,
David