[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 13:20:16 UTC 2009

droodle wrote:
[]
> thanks David - i just found that very tool doing some research so
> thanks for recommending it i shall do some testing ... do you know if
> it can be configured just to syncronise to its cmos clock as i'm not
> sure how tied down my customers network will be ie not internet
> facing.

droodle,

Only your central server need have an Internet (or radio-clock or GPS/PPS)
connection.  You specify, say, five servers and NTP will pick the best
every 20 minutes or so.  Possibly, the router you are using may provide an
NTP server.  The rest of the PCs simply need a network connection to your
central server.  There is something called "Orphan mode" in development
for just such a situation as you describe - no Internet connections - but
I don't think that is in the Meinberg Windows port right now.  There may
be a more recent beta available, though.

It's better if you can get some sort of hardware clock available for the
central server - a GPS18x LVC which has serial output could be affordable
(less then $100/£100), and near a window with a south view might "see"
enough satellites.  Then your network is talking UTC (and displaying
whatever wall-clock time you want).

Cheers,
David