[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 31 20:50:10 UTC 2009

droodle wrote:

> can this be acheived with w32time or is this purely for domain
> situations as these servers will either be in different domains or
> workgroups ?

I think it probably can, however only Microsoft have any expertise on
this and they don't post here.

> so far i have followed windows technet and done the following on the
> primary server
>
>    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
>    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
>       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time
> \Config\AnnounceFlags
>    3. In the right pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click
> Modify.
>    4. In Edit DWORD Value, type A in the Value data box, and then
> click OK.

I strongly suspect that it would need to be an odd number, but the
Technet definition of the registry keys doesn't say anything more about
your 0xA setting than that it is a combination of "automatic time
server" and "automatic reliable time server", whatever that means.  (I'm
guessing you also need "always time server", or maybe only need it.)

Also, if you want accuracy to better than several seconds, you will need
to set a lot more registry keys than just that one, e.g., for non-domain
machines, the server will only be polled every 604,800 seconds.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>w32tm /stripchart /computer:
> 10.0.2.61 /samples:5/dataonly

Caution:  never run this command against a public server; it polls so
fast that it is likely to be considered abusive.