[ntp:questions] Can the line audio out of HF radio be used to sync ntp. Trying to get a cheap ($) radio method.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Sat May 2 11:17:28 UTC 2009

David Lord wrote:
[]
> cheers
>
> Both those were listed on garmin site as uk suppliers but the RS price
> that came up was almost 170 quid and I couldn't locate the GPS-18x LVC
> on the gpsw site.
>
> I'll check both again anyway in case my eyesight was playing up.

GPS Warehouse have them in stock.

> I had an unreliable Conrad DCF-77 Rx working earlier in the week that
> seemed to be giving around +/- 2ms with just the parse driver. I
> wasn't expecting such good results due to periodic reception problems
> and earlier having had no success at all with a Globalsat br304.
>

> David

With the GPS 18 LVC, even with Windows in a non-temperature-controlled
environment, I'm seeing about +/- 200us (and more plus than minus, it
seems that each time the heating switches on it generates a positive
offset spike, but the thermal stabilisation takes much longer and
generates a more extended negative period).

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix_ntp_2.html

With FreeBSD on a very old 133MHz Pentium PC, I would easily get within
20us.

Cheers,
David