[ntp:questions] GPS-UTC Leap Corrections

cjc yheffen at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:13:01 UTC 2009

On May 5, 3:36 pm, hal-use... at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> >Depending on where you want to see that UTC value, you could maybe define
> >a UTC timezone with a 15 second offset.
> >Of course time() would still return GPS, but the displayed time in
> >applications would be UTC.
>
> That would get, um interesting, when a leap second kicks in.
>
> --
> These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate spam.

Here's a super-fun kludge I've thought about making an implementation
for, but would never ever use operationally.

The these time servers can be SNMP polled and information on
leap seconds are available through the enterprise's MIB. I could
script up something that polls these guys for leap second information,
and when it finds it, automagically updates the system's timezone
files. Or if I have a hacked up NTP code base, the ntp.conf with
appropriate offsets. Very Rube Goldberg.