[ntp:questions] 500ppm - is it too small?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu May 7 19:24:40 UTC 2009

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> The specifications for NTPD say that it will correct
>>  errors less than or equal to 500 PPM.
>>
>> I beleive that hardware outside of this limit can
>>  properly be described as broken!
>
> Could this be mitigated by setting panic to 0?
>
>  (Wasn't there some other bigtimestep option too?)

You'd have to ask Dave Mills.  I'd just scrap out the mother board or
the whole computer!  If it's software that's causing your pain it may be
unreasonable to ask you to scrap out Windows.

It's not unreasonable to expect a computer clock to have a frequency
error of less than 50 Parts Per Million and NTPD will cope with up to
500 PPM.  Remember that 500 PPM works out to 43 seconds per day!  As I
said: "SERIOUSLY BROKEN"!!