[ntp:questions] GPS-UTC Leap Corrections

Steve Allen sla29970 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:45:47 UTC 2009

On May 6, 4:33 pm, John Hasler <j... at dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Leap secondscould be handled the same way DST is.  You just structure your
> zonefile such that the 15 seconds becomes 16 after the effective date of
> the leap second.

If this proves tractable it would be an invaluable example for the
member delegations to ITU-R WP7A as they discuss how to overcome the
political impasse which has prevented progress toward deciding the
future of the broadcast time scale.  It might prompt one of the member
nations to make a formal proposal akin to the notions I have outlined
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/epochtime.html
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/deltat.html
It is particularly relevant in the UK where there is an upcoming
mandate for all-digital radio transmissions.  After that transition
the BBC's six pips will always be buffered, so it will not be possible
to use them to set a timepiece manually.  The only reliable means for
manual setting would become to listen to shortwave time signals.