[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon May 11 15:44:43 UTC 2009

In article <3Uftl.5045$Lc7.2754 at text.news.virginmedia.com>,
 "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> writes:

>I don't know if anyone has written a driver which will suit your USB-based
>BU353.

The BU-353 uses one of the common serial-USB chips and
speaks the NMEA protocol.  I expect it will work if you
just plug it in and fiddle around a bit.

It uses the SiRF chip set.  There is no PPS.  The timing
on the NMEA strings is bad to horrible.

If anybody has figured out how to get good timing out of the
SiRF units, please clue me in.