[ntp:questions] New Version of NTP Installer for Windows from Meinberg

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri May 22 22:42:41 UTC 2009

David J Taylor:
> Does this new release include the improved interpolation developed by Dave
> Hart, and the Windows Vista/7 optimisations?

No, those are only in 4.2.5p162 and later.  See http://bugs.ntp.org/216
Very soon a release candidate cycle for 4.2.6 should start, so it
shouldn't be terribly long before a -stable NTP release includes the
new Windows interpolation code.  4.2.4p7 does have substantial
improvements vs 4.2.4p6 in the Windows serial code used by, for
example, the NMEA reference clock driver.  However, lacking the 216
fix, it's not really a good choice for any upstream server duty,
though it's great as a client assuming better than 1 millisecond
accuracy is unimportant.

> You may know that I discovered a problem with Windows 2000 afer bug fix
> 1149.  Is the Windows 2000 fix 1191 included?

Yes it is.  Heiko also identified and fixed in the Meinberg release a
problem building current NTP (-stable and -dev) using the now-ancient
Visual C++ 6 compiler.  Anyone attempting to build from source using
VC6 should see http://bugs.ntp.org/1196 for the solution.  I would
appreciate contact from anyone building NTP using VC6, as I believe
only Meinberg and possibly Danny Mayer are still using it with NTP.  I
hope to see support for VC6 dropped before too much longer, as it
requires some ugliness in the code to work around half-implemented 64-
bit scalar support.

Cheers,
Dave Hart