[ntp:questions] strange time behaviour

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Mon May 25 15:37:03 UTC 2009

vhfmeyer at t-online.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an embedded application running under Linux 2.6.22 #1 PREEMPT
> with 1000 ticks per second (PC architecture, AMD Geode Processor).
> Since precise timing is needed, the devices are synchronized to a time
> server via ntpd 4.2.2p4.
>
> After running 48 days and 13 hours without problems, things got crazy.
[]
> I have no idea, what the problem is. Does anybody know, what's going
> on and how to cure it?
>
> Regards, Volker Meyer

1165 hours - 2^32 milliseconds.

Sounds like something rolled over.....

Supposedly this was once a Windows problem, although I've never
encountered it.  You are reading a millisecond value with a 32-bit
counter, and it's top bit is overflowing.

Don't run Linux here, Volker, so I can't suggest a solution.

Cheers,
David