[ntp:questions] strange time behaviour

John Hasler john at dhh.gt.org
Mon May 25 16:06:30 UTC 2009

David writes:
> 1165 hours - 2^32 milliseconds.

> Sounds like something rolled over.....

> Supposedly this was once a Windows problem, although I've never
> encountered it.  You are reading a millisecond value with a 32-bit
> counter, and it's top bit is overflowing.

If it was a kernel bug I'd have seen it here, as would the many others
who've run that kernel for thousands of hours.  I suspect something in the
application is loading down the kernel and causing it to lose ticks.  1000
ticks is pretty fast for a Geode.  Do these machines have HPET clocks?
HPET is broken by design.
--
John Hasler
john at dhh.gt.org