[ntp:questions] different Ntp servers...

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue May 26 06:26:04 UTC 2009

>>> In article <JMydnbiIFOvm2IbXnZ2dnUVZ_gJi4p2d at giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> If you connect directly to an S1 server and that server goes insane, you
>> are screwed.  If you connect to a well-configured S2 server you have a
>> lot better confidence that you'll be getting useful time.  I recommend
>> you have as many of your machines as possible/reasonable peer with each
>> other.

Richard> Does this really help unless each peer has at least one unique
Richard> source of time?

I'm thinking of failure cases - it should leave a really big clique that
will outvote an insane server.

It would be interesting to document various failure cases and see if we can
come up with a BCP document to describe these.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!