[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

pisteoff at start.no pisteoff at start.no
Wed May 27 20:26:37 UTC 2009

On 27 Mai, 21:43, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote:
> piste... at start.no wrote:
> > After first trying the Haicom HI-204III claiming to have PPS in the
> > manual without really having it, I bought a Garmin 18x LVC and
> > connected it to the onboard COM-port (COM1) on my Asus M3N78 PRO
>
> Very good!
>
> (Using USB power I assume?)

I was thinking about USB-power, but ended up with keyboard-power since
a PS2 connector was easiest to find when soldering the cable. :)

Actually the Garmin 18x LVC is quite expensive here in Norway? Seems
like it's quite a lot cheaper abroad, but with tax and postage I don't
think it's any cheaper to order one unit from US or somewhere...

> > mainboard. The Haicom is residing on a USB serial adapter (COM6) to
> > check how stable the offset is.
>
> > Running ntp4.2.5p175-win-x86-bin configured with a couple of
>
> Windows...

Windows XP SP3 running on an AMD Athlon Dual Core 4850e (2,5G0Hz) with
4GB PC8500 RAM. Quite overkill for a pure NTP-server I suppose, but I
have lot's of other things I like to test on this computer!

> > timesources it seems like my ISP's NTP-server gets "disqualified".
> > Before setting up my own ref.clock I used to have ntp.online.no as my
> > "favorite NTP-server" thinking it would be the best / most local
> > server, but now I might offer them to use me as a clock-source? ;)
>
> > Anyone wishing to see on their own, might check with ntpq
> > solbakken.dyndns.org   What kind of accuracy is expectable with a NMEA
> > GPS with PPS connected to the DCD-line of the serial port? It's not
> > that I have any special need for extreme accuracy, but I suppose it's
> > allright having the most accurate clock in the neighborhood. :)
>
> Hei, hei!
>
> If your neighborhood is Oslo, I probably have you beat, with 6-8
> GPS-quality PPS sources, including 5 Oncore timing receivers, all
> connected to FreeBSD servers with PPS support. :-)

I'm on Gjøvik, so until the opposite is proved I still think I have
got the most accurate clock in the neighborhood :)