[ntp:questions] Dave Hart Windows PPS patch set and Atom driver

hvengel at astound.net hvengel at astound.net
Wed May 27 20:29:17 UTC 2009

I discovered the patched version of ntp and the serialpps.sys driver
that Dave Hart created.  I have been using a reference clock on my
Linux system (using LinuxPPS, the convergence kernel patch and a
nanosecond patched glibc) for some time now and have wanted to use
that reference clock when the machine is booted over to Windows.  I
installed ntp-4.2.4p6-DHL-QPC-20090315-bin.zip and
serialpps-20090329.zip and attempted to get it to work.

I am using a Motorola Oncore UT+ and I thought that I should be able
to use the Atom (PPS) driver but I have not been able to get this to
work.  In the ntp log I get:

26 May 23:28:46 ntpd.exe[200]: clock PPS(1) event 'clk_noreply' (0x01)

So it looks like the atom driver does not see that the PPS is
available.  In a private email from someone else who uses the Dave
Hart code I was told "I can see what you are trying to do, but it
looks like Dave Hart's code says something like "No serial data, so no
PPS timestamps", or that the connection to the serialpps.sys is built
into the NMEA driver rather than separately."  I have not looked at
the code so I don't know if this in fact the case.  I know when I try
to load the NMEA driver that it fails as I would expect it to since
the Oncore is not a NMEA device.

Can someone here give me some clues about what needs to be done to get
the Atom driver to work with serialpps.sys with out a NMEA device?

Hal