[ntp:questions] Standalone time server

Sullivan, George E. GEORGE.E.SULLIVAN at saic.com
Tue May 26 11:14:51 UTC 2009

Hi Danny, (REPOST)

I have setup version 4.2.5p178.  All I did was put "tos orphan 1" in
/etc/ntp.conf file, and fired off the /usr/local/bin/ntpd.  I'm not even
sure if it is reading this file, though.  Would that be the default?

Then I went to the clients did chkconfig ntpd off and service ntpd stop.
Then I did a manual ntpdate against my new 4.2.5 time server and the
time set correctly.  (REMEMBER: I use RHEL 5)

Then I modified the /etc/init.d/ntpd and pointed it to
/usr/local/bin/ntpd.
I did comment out one line in there that syncs with a time server since
I figured it should not attempt to sync with itself.

Now I have cron'ed all the clients to ntpdate themselves to the server.
I tried to add my 4.2.5 system as a time server via system-config-time,
but the GUI could not find it.  Yet ntpdate works fine.

If you or Steve any other configuration knowledge you could share I
would most greatly appreciate it.

George