[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu May 28 07:10:02 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> All I was saying was that just because the time routines are capable of
> recording time with nsec precision does not mean that that accuracy of
> the clock is anywhere near that, and I have great difficulty believing
> that the accuracy is any better than usec.

You are somewhat correct: Those ntp servers that do run at better than
us precision/accuracy need some additional effort, i.e. phk's replacing
the motherboard crystal with OCXO/TCXO/Rb oscillators, and then using an
FPGA to measure the offset between the arrival of the PPS signal and the
dispatch of the interrupt handler.

Even without the FPGA it is possible to do significantly better than
1us, if you let the interrupt handler twiddle an output pin so that you
can use an oscilloscope to measure the average latency, and then fudge
that away.

NTPD with a PPS signal does not need all interrupts to be handled very
quickly, only that a large fraction of them have short & relatively
stable service time. Statistics will do the rest.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>