[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu May 28 08:59:55 UTC 2009

pisteoff at start.no wrote:
> On 28 Mai, 08:12, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-this-
> part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Unruh wrote:
>>> piste... at start.no writes:
>> []
>>> How much is "quite expensive" It should be about US$100.
>> In the UK the base price, without tax, is GBP 56.98 (~ US $91)
>>
>> With tax and delivery it was GBP 71.02 (~US $113)
>>
>> I also feel this is quite expensive, as some base prices are down to US
>> $63
>>
>>  http://shopping.aol.com/garmin-gps-18x-lvc-receiver-12-channels-/7570...
>>
>> David
>
> The recommended customer price from the Norwegian Garmin importer
> seems to be 975NOK (+shipping), which was what I had to pay for it. It
> also seems difficult to find stores having this LVC-model in their
> assortment, so I actually asked a web shop that sell other Garmin
> products if they could get me this model too.
>
> When calculating NOK to USD, I end up with $152,24. That's actually
> more than double the $63 price you have seen in US!! If I found a US
> place selling it for $63 I suppose it should get quite a lot cheaper
> even when adding shipping and tax.

I had a list of around five cheapest, I think four in US one Canada.
Only one of those could manage a normal Visa payment and export to UK
with delivery charge of extra 70 USD. There would also have been UK
import duty then VAT on total including shipping.

I eventually ordered from gpsw.co.uk, UKP 71.02 inclusive. I'd
searched their site prior to trying the US ones and not been able to
locate the GPS 18x-LVC and only went back after it being confirmed
here they stocked the product.

I've not yet connected the GPS 18x as still thinking about where to
mount it. I previously tried with a BR304 without pps and had 80%
of time +/- 25ms, much worse than for time from internet whilst a
Conrad DCF module used over a few days gave 80% at +/- 2ms, better
than expected, but both BR304 and DCF have reception difficulties.

David