[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Thu May 28 10:15:49 UTC 2009

David Lord wrote:
[]
> I eventually ordered from gpsw.co.uk, UKP 71.02 inclusive. I'd
> searched their site prior to trying the US ones and not been able to
> locate the GPS 18x-LVC and only went back after it being confirmed
> here they stocked the product.

I also ordered from  GPS warehouse and it arrived very quickly.
  http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2402.html

> I've not yet connected the GPS 18x as still thinking about where to
> mount it. I previously tried with a BR304 without pps and had 80%
> of time +/- 25ms, much worse than for time from internet whilst a
> Conrad DCF module used over a few days gave 80% at +/- 2ms, better
> than expected, but both BR304 and DCF have reception difficulties.
>
> David

Mine is now sitting indoors, near the roof of an upstairs room.  It's a
lot more sensitive than the plain "18" model, so I'm trying it indoors
rather than on the roof  (where my 18 lives).  It's a backup, and working
into a rather poor Windows box, but keeping generally within 0.5ms.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/stamsund_ntp_2.html

I couldn't see any change between the outdoors 18 and the indoors 18x on
that PC.  The changeover was on Friday, May 22, week 21 - spot any
difference?

Cheers,
David