[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.5p180 adds IPv6 support on Windows

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sun May 31 16:00:34 UTC 2009

Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:QzaUl.35766$OO7.25349 at text.news.virginmedia.com...
>> Maarten Wiltink wrote:
>
>>> A Windows 2000 without IPv6 says 'Ordinal not found : The ordinal 3852
>>> could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll.'
>>>
>>> Copying the DLL into the directory didn't help, either.
>
>> What libeay32.dll do you have?  Mine is dated 13-Jan-2009, and is
>> 1,105,392 bytes.  file version 0.9.8.10, product version, 0.9.8j (I
>> think).  It's in the ntp\bin\ directory.  ntpd.exe is working fine -
>> Windows 2000 server, no IPv6.
>
> It came with NTP-4.2.0 Windows binaries dated 2003-10-17. The DLL is
> dated 2003-06-04, 827 392 bytes, no version information.

Maarten,

The OpenSSL libraries need to exactly match the binaries which build
against it. Unfortunately, the OpenSSL libraries do not try and keep the
ordinals the same between releases so you cannot depend on the dll from
the 0.9.8c release to match that from the 0.9.8d release. For this
reason I always make the builds copy the dll and install into its own
directory along with the specific libeay32.dll that it was built with.
This, among other things, mean that you cannot install the binaries into
system32, wnich you shouldn't do anyway. This also means that you end up
with multiple copies of libeay32.dll for various applications that need
OpenSSL. If the OpenSSL team had created and maintained a .def file with
ordinals in it, this wouldn't have been a problem but they don't do that.

Danny

believed to be clean.