[ntp:questions] NTP absolute accuracy?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Sun Nov 1 18:10:30 UTC 2009

"Unruh" <> wrote in message news:vCjHm.50153$Db2.9407 at edtnps83...
[]
>>UK 60KHz radio time signal.
>
> Ah, OK. Its accuracy is probably not much better than a few msec I
> assume.
> GPS is a few usec. Since the network gives accuracies of better than a
> few ms, MSF
> is not a good way of testing the accuracy of network set clocks.

At source, it's recently been within about 10 microseconds:

  http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/time/products-and-services/msf-bulletins

  http://resource.npl.co.uk/time/bulletins/msf/msfbul_08_2009.pdf

In the field, the accuracy will depend on the receiver you use, the
propagation, and the quality of signal you have.  A few milliseconds is
probably a fair estimate, although it would be interesting to see some
measured values.

Cheers,
David