[ntp:questions] Manycast

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 2 18:23:19 UTC 2009

On 11/02/09 07:47, Evandro Menezes wrote:
> Sorry, there's a change in the server configuration that i omitted
> before.
>
> So, I'm trying to figure out how to get manycast working, so I set up
> 3
> computers to be clients:
>
> disable auth
> enable bclient
> tos orphan 8
> manycastclient 224.0.1.1
> manycastserver 224.0.1.1
>
> And one computer to be a server:
>
> disable auth
> enable bclient
> tos orphan 8
> manycastclient 224.0.1.1
> manycastserver 224.0.1.1
> server   pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org
> server 3.pool.ntp.org
>
> Nevertheless, the clients just never synchronize with the server.
>
> Sometimes, if a client is powered on, it does find the server, however
> sometimes it drops the association to never find the server again.
>
> I'm using 4.2.4p7 in all 4 computers.
>
> What gives?

Try using a different multicast than the standard ntp mcast address.
That's for multicast synchronization, and it may interfere with manycast.

Most of the example configs included in the reference NTP distribution
use the administratively-scoped address 239.1.1.1.  I have had success
using this address as well, but make sure that it's not already being
used elsewhere in your organization.

michael