[ntp:questions] NTP absolute accuracy?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Tue Nov 3 06:38:32 UTC 2009

"Unruh" <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:FGMHm.50325$Db2.6464 at edtnps83...
[]
> This is of course all made totally redundant by the GPS time delivery--
> even makes up for the transmission delay. It begins to look like like
> Morse code in the days of cell phones. Quaint, but not really useful.

"Not really useful"?  Hardly!  The LF radio signals reach where GPS
cannot, and there are perhaps millions of devices and users out there who
rely on LF radio to keep clocks and watches displaying the correct time.
It's not redundant just yet, and even more accurate than it was a few
years back.  Even LORAN may be making a comeback, I believe.

David