[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest Redux

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 7 14:57:25 UTC 2009

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Evandro Menezes wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 3:10 pm, Terje Mathisen<Terje.Mathi... at tmsw.no>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Making it more convenient to lock polling at 64s isn't a good idea,
>>> imho.
>>
>> What do you suggest to mitigate the wild swings between daytime and
>> nighttime, sunny and cloudy, cold-front and warm-front, etc, of both
>> the offset and the frequency?
>
> If this in fact a real problem, I'd suggest wrapping some insulation
> around the clock crystal.
>
> This would make temperature swings much slower, right?

If you REALLY care, use an Oven Controlled crystal oscillator. Most
servers live in a data center in which the temperature is controlled to
within +/- two degrees F.  I suspect that an OCXO will not buy you much
in the way of greater stability but if you are scrambling in pursuit of
the "one true time". . . .