[ntp:questions] tinkering with minpoll and maxpoll

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Nov 7 16:22:29 UTC 2009

Aneeq,

The absolute minimum poll exponent 3 (8 s) is required by stability
considerations and the adjustment interval of 1 s. The absolute maximum
poll exponent 17 (36 h) is an arbitrary choice based on the wander
characteristics of commodity computer clock oscillators. The default
minimum of 6 (64 s) and default maximum of 10 (1024 s) were set thirty
years ago by mindless conjecture, but have proven good choices under
typical LAN and WAN conditions. When you hook up your cesium oscillator,
you may need to reconsider these choices.

Dave