[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest Redux

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Nov 8 07:02:42 UTC 2009

>> What do you suggest to mitigate the wild swings between daytime and
>> nighttime, sunny and cloudy, cold-front and warm-front, etc, of both
>> the offset and the frequency?
>
>If this in fact a real problem, I'd suggest wrapping some insulation
>around the clock crystal.
>
>This would make temperature swings much slower, right?

I think there is enough conduction through the board that
wrapping the crystal with insulation isn't going to change much.

The night/day is much slower than the time constant of
the crystal/board.  I'm not sure where sun/cloud fit in.
You could (mostly?) avoid that by closing the blinds or
putting your PC under a table out of the sun.