[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest Redux

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Mon Nov 9 08:24:57 UTC 2009

"David Woolley" <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote in message
news:hd8j1u$ouk$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_narvik.php
>
> How much of that offset do you attribute to actual clock error?
>
> If most of it, that graph makes a strong case for a low maxpoll, or a
> different algorithm.

The maxpoll for the stratum-1 LAN servers to which this is synced is 64s
(and 1024s for the Internet backup servers).  Apart from the glitch around
12:00 yesterday (when I rebooted that PC) I believe that most of the error
is due to temperature.  The heating here switches on just before 06:00,
and you can see a rise between 06:00 and 08:00 every day.  The LAN itself
is normally quite lightly loaded:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_network.php

the majority of the traffic being a ~400KB/s (~3.2Mb/s) stream of weather
satellite data between Feenix and Narvik, on a 100Mb/s connection on
Feenix and a 1Gb/s on Narvik.

Cheers,
David