[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 configuration hints

shane-dated-2009 at csy.ca shane-dated-2009 at csy.ca
Thu Nov 12 18:43:14 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I am running a stratum 1 server (Garmin 18 LVC) on Linux and think I have it
humming pretty smoothly at this point. Offset around 8 US and jitter 1-2US.
The GPS is the only clock source though and I'm wondering whether a stratum
1 server should peer with others. If so, do I need to go hunt down stratum 1
servers willing to peer or can I use otherwise unconnected stratum 2-3
servers such as are in the NTP pool? At stratum 1, should peer or server be
used?

This is very much a hobby project for me, not a serious thing though I am
perfectly willing to add to the public ntp server list but I don't think
this rig would qualify to peer with the nist or usno servers or any such
thing so I'm hoping stratum 1 peering isn't necessary.

Thanks,
Shane