[ntp:questions] Monitor of NTP service

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Nov 20 17:52:06 UTC 2009

> From: aluciani <aluciani at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:02:07 -0800 (PST)
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>
> Hello Folks.
>
> I have several AIX Unix 5.2 serves that point to a Cisco router as the
> NTP time source.
>
> Is there any way I could monitor the time source and against the
> servers to ensure that they are in sync?
>
> Or how are others performing time source/server monitoring?

Cisco routers are terrible ntp servers. I mean really, really terrible,
as they prioritize the processing of NTP packets below all process
switched network traffic and all routing protocols. Jitter is extreme.

To directly answer your question, 'ntpq -p' should do what I think you
are asking.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)