[ntp:questions] question regarding NTP configuration for clusters, and "cluster time" stability

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Nov 21 05:01:17 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-21, <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:

> The article I referenced seemed relevant to what they are attempting.
> <http://lopsa.org/node/1480> When the external server(s) go away, the
> internal servers take some number of minutes, but eventually elect a
> leader and settle on a usable hierarchy. They may drift in total from
> the absolute notion of NTP time, but they remain synchronized with
> each other.

What you really want is a decent quality PPS generator (e.g. Rubidium)
which feeds an internal time server. That time server can become the
internal master when the connection to the outside world goes away.

Keep the orphan cloud as a back-up in case both the outside world and
the internal master go away.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>