[ntp:questions] Problem with system clock refresh

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Mon Nov 23 14:02:10 UTC 2009

"JuanFran" <juanfranciscojara at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d693971e-be41-4a9b-9926-ed4a04f5b319 at j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
> Good mornig. I have a trouble with NTP. I want a refresh my sistem
> clock (client) with a LAN Server each 5 minutes. I don’t know any
> parameter of NTP protocol for this configuration. It’s possible? The
> refresh it done usually, but takes a long time.
>
> I use Windows XP with meinberg software (client and server monitor).
>
> Thank you!
>
> PD: sorry for my poor english! :-)

Why do you want to do this, Juan?  NTP will automatically adjust the
interval between contacts to the server according to its own needs, and
you don't normally need to set this.  If you /really/ need to do this, you
could edit the ntp.conf file with notepad to have entries similar to this:

server    <lan-address>    maxpoll 8    iburst

server    <internet-address>    minpoll 10
server    <internet-address>    minpoll 10
server    <internet-address>    minpoll 10
server    <internet-address>    minpoll 10

This sets the LAN-server to poll not less than once every 256 (2^^8)
seconds, and have backup Internet servers which are polled at not less
than 1024 (2^^10) second intervals.

Cheers,
David