[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

jack j.jack.wang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:09:06 UTC 2009

Hi all,

After reading Dave Hart's message, I realized that I didn't configure
the GPS device to only emit $GPRMC messages. After doing this, the NTP
software starts to function. So that's big progress for me.

Right now, I am using:

server 127.127.20.1 minpoll 4 prefer
server 127.127.22.1 minpoll 4

NTPStatus shows that it's syncing to PPS(1) although the offset and
jitter are still quite big (-3ms and 0.2ms respectively).

I tried the following combination but the offset actually increased.
server 127.127.20.1 minpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1

Right now I am trying to figure out how to switch to kernel mode. I
have
1) serialpps.sys
2) the correspond DLL
3) the environment variable that points to the DLL
I am unclear as to what should be done to switch to kernel mode.

Thanks to all for the help.

Jack