[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Sat Nov 28 06:57:57 UTC 2009

"Unruh" <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:e5_Pm.33822$cd7.2012 at newsfe04.iad...
[]
> I think you mean 10s of msec to 1s of microseconds. If you do not need
> it, certainly using a separate computer would be overkill. If you need
> it, then presumably you have to factor in the costs and figure out how
> much you need it.
> I would certainly NOT use USB for accuracy. I would certainly not use
> Windows for accuracy.
> On a windows system, using the net (Ie external servers ) might well be
> just as good or better than a usb gps.

No, on Windows I measure reported offsets well under a fraction of a
millisecond for both Windows 2000 and Windows XP stratum-1 GPS/PPS
reference clocks, not tens of milliseconds you think it is.  On my
LAN-synced clients I measure under two milliseconds offset.  On my
GPS/PPS/USB tests I measured better than LAN-synced offsets.

My results are based on actual measurements.  Where do your figures come
from?

David