[ntp:questions] Remaining synced on an unsynchronised peer?

Michael Butow michael.buetow at comsoft.de
Mon Nov 30 20:34:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:24:03 -0500, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> "Historical Reasons" is a pretty feeble excuse.  NTPD will, if permitted
> to do so, adjust that polling interval as needed to get the most
> accurate time.  By pegging minpoll and maxpoll you are crippling the
> ability of NTPD to get the greatest possible accuracy.

I'll clarify this point (which I think is not relevant to my issue
though):
The system doesn't need the greatest possible accuracy, it is more
important to the users to detect loss of time sources quickly.
Also, this setting was used in the past in the presence of components
which were causing loss of time interrupts, and the clock was not
controllable in another way.

I'd still appreciate any comments to my actual question ;-)