[ntp:questions] Strange NTP problem on AMD Geode LX cards.

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Oct 4 11:41:49 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> writes:
>

>> I've started replacing ntpd on desktops and notebooks as it's not
>> really appropriate and "ntpd -q" or ntpdate would be sufficient.
>> It's just that ntpd was installed by default. Using "ntpd -q" before
>> starting chrony seems to give good results.
>
> Why would that do anything? Chrony itself has an option to step the
> clock on startup if the offset is too large ( user selectable-- if you
> want to select .128 sec, that is fine)

This is just for when using mobile broadband where there is
massive latency and switching between GSM modes at start of
connections. Ntp.conf with burst (from my own servers) gets
initially to within about 20ms but without burst around 100ms
at best and more often 1-2s. Desktops on wired network don't
really need it but are sometimes connected by mobile so I've
kept the same method.

Chrony does have a burst option but this has to be called
on demand using chronyc and I've not got round to trying that,
but if it works ok I'll move to using that.

When/if I can get a portable radioclock sorted that should be
a better solution.

David