[ntp:questions] ntpq -p show refid as .INIT. even my NTP Servers are synchronized properly.

Andhu aravind.arjunan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 06:34:45 UTC 2009

On Oct 5, 12:19 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2009-10-04, Andhu <aravind.arju... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip: time island with primary and secondary time servers]
>
> > Problem:
>
> > When i execute ntpq -p the output shows refid as .INIT. ?
>
> Where are you running this command?
>
> It may be that you are not allowing enough time to elapse after ntpd is
> started.
>
> For ntp-stable using ntpd's defaults a server which is using the
> Undisciplined Local Clock (127.127.1.x) as its time "source" will not be
> able to serve time to others until it has been running for approximately
> 200 seconds (3 1/3 minutes). This time may be reduced to approximately
> 50 seconds using the minpoll command.
>
> > How to resolve this?
>
> Fix your configuration and/or allow ntpd to run for a long enough time
> before using 'ntpq -p'.
>
> > Why it is showing?
>
> We won't be able to tell you that until we see a sample configuration
> for one of your servers and one of your clients.
>
> > Tell me how much time it will take to synchronize to the secondary
> > server when primary goes down?
>
> The "client ntpd" will keep the primary server as its "sys_peer" (in
> other words, will continue to be synced to the primary server) until
> that primary server becomes unreachable.
>
> It takes a maximum of 8 polls for a time source to become unreachable.
>
> For unicast (or "client/server") associations, depending on the poll
> interval being used by the client ntpd it will take somewhere between
> 8.5 minutes  and 2.27 hours for a remote time server to become
> unreachable.
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

hi,

When i execute ntpq -p the output shows refid as .INIT. ?

Where are you running this command?

I am  executing this command in NTP Server and in my NTP Clients.

It may be that you are not allowing enough time to elapse after ntpd
is
started.

So you mean to say that we need to execute the command ntpq -p after
the NTP server get stable?

As i mentioned it was in production and these NTP Servers were running
for very long time. And all my NTP Servers
are getting synchronized from the Primary NTP Server.

I found in some documents that this .INIT. is the kiss code error and
it means that my associaition server is not synchronized for the first
time.

For ntp-stable using ntpd's defaults a server which is using the
Undisciplined Local Clock (127.127.1.x) as its time "source" will not
be
able to serve time to others until it has been running for
approximately
200 seconds (3 1/3 minutes). This time may be reduced to
approximately
50 seconds using the minpoll command.

>From the above you mean to say if the source is the Undisciplined
Local Clock (127.127.1.x) it wont serve time until it  has been
running for 3 1/3 minutes.

But my NTP Server is running for very long time. But still am getting
the refid as .INIT. when i execute ntpq -p command.

And regarding the time interval of ntpd client from changing the
synchronization from Primary to Secondary when the primary becaome
unreachable . As per you it will take maximum of 8 polls but it is
taking more than 1 hours to change it secondary NTP server if the
primary goes down.

with regards
A.Aravind