[ntp:questions] testing slew only mode (-x), not slewing correctly (linux sles10, ntpd v 4.1.1)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Oct 19 21:54:13 UTC 2009

JohnLund wrote:
> I am trying to test the slew only mode of ntpd on an embedded system
> that has ntpd v. 4.1.1.  We cause a time jump of 1 minute on the

This is generally considered a garbage in condition.

> configured NTP server for this embedded system and track the ntp log
> messages (var/log/ntp) and see the following:
> 19 Oct 17:53:47 ntpd[6951]: time slew 51.517400 s

As far as I can tell, current versions of ntpd only produce this message
when in in one shot ntpdate mode.

> version="ntpd 4.1.1 at 1.786 Sat Sep 27 05:48:59 UTC 2003 (1)"?,

Six years old!

Note that -x doesn't inhibit stepping entirely, it justs sets a minimum
step of 10 minutes.  Also note that using -x will turn off the kernel
time discipline, and force the use of a user space one.