[ntp:questions] testing slew only mode (-x), not slewing correctly (linux sles10, ntpd v 4.1.1)

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Oct 22 01:15:53 UTC 2009

Brian Utterback <brian.utterback at sun.com> wrote:
> And indeed, slewalways mode is unstable. That is why it was changed
> to a "slew mostly" mode in later versions.

What does "mostly" mean here?  I see discussion all over the place
(perhaps it is now entrenched into folklore?)  about how one "never"
wants to have the clock of say a database server "stepped."

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of
"when", sometimes "where"; always "how much."  - Joubert