[ntp:questions] NTP absolute accuracy?

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Sat Oct 31 20:59:37 UTC 2009

David J Taylor writes:
> It's just an impression I had - that consumers get the worst latency
> and most overloaded network equipment...

Perhaps, but it doesn't follow that they suffer a great deal of
asymmetry.

> ...and no direct connection to an ultra-high-speed academic network.

Of course not, and probably no bleeding-edge switches with packet
buffering, NICs with interrupt coalescing, or experimental routers,
either.  As far as I know round trip symmetry is not a design goal for
any part of the Net.

On the other hand, "deep packet inspection" _could_ introduce asymmetry.

Seems to me that the dumber the network between me and the server the
more likely I am to see symmetric latentcy.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill