[ntp:questions] SIGINFO for Portable OpenNTP on Linux

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Sep 4 11:42:49 UTC 2009

"RedGrittyBrick" <RedGrittyBrick at spamweary.invalid> wrote in message
news:4aa0e178$0$2541$da0feed9 at news.zen.co.uk...

> I'm using OpenNTP 3.9p1 (http://www.openntpd.org/) on an RedHat 8 Linux
> server.

Oh great. Now you'll get a hundred people telling you that OpenNTP is
Not Real NTP.

> The docs at http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ntpd say
>    When ntpd receives a SIGINFO signal, it writes its peer and sensor
>    status to syslog(3).

Is this the man page for (reference) NTP or does it apply to OpenNTP?

> However SIGINFO isn't defined on Linux.
>
> Has this feature been removed from the Portable version of OpenNTP or
> is there some other signal I can send, or some other way to get peer
> status (hopefully similar to ntpq -p on xntpd) to monitor convergence
> etc.

According to Wikipedia, SIGINFO is 'a synonym for' SIGPWR on Linux.
You might try that instead.

Presumably this would be somewhat easy to find in the source.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink