[ntp:questions] SIGINFO for Portable OpenNTP on Linux

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:36:43 UTC 2009

On Sep 4, 1:55 pm, RedGrittyBrick wrote:

> RedHat 8 does have ntp-4.1.1a which is the latest RPM I can find for it.
> However this runs but has problems communicating with NTP servers. I've
>   not been able to fathom why. Maybe I should revisit that.

I wouldn't bother.  That version came out in 2002 [1], any problems
are not going to garner a lot of interest from the developers of ntp
unless they also occur on the current ntp-stable (4.2.4p7) or recent
ntp-dev (4.2.5) as well.

> I would download the latest ntp.org source but my C skills are few and I
> thought there might be dependency issues on such an old OS.
>
> Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Now you're talking my language.  You don't need to have any C skills
to use the ntp.org source tarballs.  Grab 4.2.4p7 or 4.2.5p209 from
http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html, then:

tar xzf ntp*.gz
cd ntp*
./configure --with-lineeditlibs=readline
make

You should then either:

sudo make install
-or-
su
make install

If you have any problems, we'll help you through them.  The ntp.org
distribution works on some very ancient OSes, yours is still
relatively young by our standards :)

Cheers,
Dave Hart

[1] http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-4.1/