[ntp:questions] SIGINFO for Portable OpenNTP on Linux

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 21:08:34 UTC 2009

RedGrittyBrick wrote:

> I'm using OpenNTP 3.9p1 (http://www.openntpd.org/) on an RedHat 8 Linux
> server.
>
> The docs at http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ntpd say
>   When ntpd receives a SIGINFO signal, it writes its peer and sensor
>   status to syslog(3).
>
> However SIGINFO isn't defined on Linux.
>
> Has this feature been removed from the Portable version of OpenNTP or is
> there some other signal I can send, or some other way to get peer status
> (hopefully similar to ntpq -p on xntpd) to monitor convergence etc.

Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously!

OpenNTP is "do it yourself" project by some group whose name and
affiliations I can't remember.  It *does* use the NTP protocol but there
the connection ends!

It's possible that members of the responsible group monitor this news
group but I wouldn't count on it.