[ntp:questions] TSC, default precision, FreeBSD

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Sun Sep 6 06:53:49 UTC 2009

"Dave Hart" <davehart at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:bcc41041-0e67-4208-abe3-01a5e53b9159 at s21g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 5, 3:45 pm, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> It's a pity that the authors of the NTP specification chose to
>> Humpty-Dumpty an existing word with a well-defined meaning.
>
> As the gateway from questions at lists.ntp.org to this newsgroup has not
> conveyed it, please see Dr. Mills' reply here:
>
> http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2009-September/024201.html
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Dave Mills wrote:

Garrett,

My father was a very good mechanical engineer and screamed at me to use
correct terminology when talking about resolution, precision and
accuracy. My engineering professors screamed at me, too. My father's
calipers could measure clearances to a thousandth of an inch, but the
surface roughness diluted the precision  to ten times that. The
terminology I use is precisely (sic) correct according to modern
engineering practice and correctly describes the intent in the
specification and implementation.

Dave

Perhaps it would be helpful to the present discussion to have the terms:

- resolution
- precision
- accuracy

as used in NTP defined in words here?  Are the definitions already on the
Web in the NTP FAQ or elsewhere?

Thanks,
David