[ntp:questions] lists.ntp.org uses an invalid security certificate....

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 07:17:46 UTC 2009

On Sep 6, 6:49 am, "David J Taylor"  wrote:
> "Dave Hart" <> wrote in message
>
> >http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2009-September/024201.html
>
> > Cheers,
> > Dave Hart
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Dave.
>
> When visiting that site in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer, I get
> the warning:
>
>   lists.ntp.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.
>
> "The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is
> unknown."
>
> Perhaps my Firefox needs something?

Neither of the URLs given above are using https, they are both http://...,
so one answer would be to tell you you're confused ;)  However
lists.ntp.org mailing list archives are also available over https, and
Firefox is telling you it doesn't trust the certificate, which is
true.  All ntp.org https sites use certificates from cacert.org, which
is not trusted by any browser with enough market share to mention out
of the box.  You must have previously installed the cacert.org root
certificate, or the https://lists.ntp.org certificate into IE to avoid
the warning.

This is a bit of a sore point with me, and I've gone so far as to find
affordable trusted certificates and offer to pay for them, but the
idea was vetoed.  Apparently, supporting cacert.org's windmill-tilting
is more important than not scaring away innocent users who try to
visit http://bugs.ntp.org and find every link redirects them to
https://support.ntp.org/... which throws up a certificate warning to
those of us who have not installed cacert.org's root certificate.

Cheers,
Dave Hart