[ntp:questions] NTP v3 server, v4 client can't synch

Romain at ntp.org Romain at ntp.org
Wed Sep 9 17:58:34 UTC 2009

In <MfHpm.77193$OO7.45602 at text.news.virginmedia.com> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> writes:
| Get the host machine synced with NTP, and let VMware handle the timing for
| the client OS.  There is a VMware paper on time syncing IIRC.  The
| timekeeping won't be wonderful - perhaps to within a second or two?

Thanks for the followup.

However, I should clarify.  The customer is using the VM as their
NTP server.  The APM device is dedicated hardware, so it doesn't
have a VMware host that it would sync against.

(And of course, there is a fundamental challenge with attempting
to acquire network metrics like jitter using a VM, unless you have
some clever mechanism to timestamp network packets independently
of the VM's execution latency...)

--
Romain Kang         Neither KZSU 90.1 FM Radio nor Stanford University assume
rkang at opnet.com             no responsibility for the content of this message.
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu