[ntp:questions] NTP v3 server, v4 client can't synch

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:54:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM, <Romain at ntp.org> wrote:
> However, I should clarify.  The customer is using the VM as their
> NTP server.  The APM device is dedicated hardware, so it doesn't
> have a VMware host that it would sync against.

And you're screwed if the customer insists the only NTP source your
fleet can use is this problem VM-hosted one.  You need to educate the
customer that it's a horrible idea, and that they should either switch
the NTP service to the physical hardware hosting the machine, or a
different physical machine.  Preferably one with precision not so
laughable.  Your ntpq output showed not only staggering offsets, but
precision=-6 for the server.  That's 15.625ms.

Since the customer claims they have no problem syncing their other
machines to this ill-conceived ntpd in a VM, ask them to let you sync
your fleet to one (or 4) of the other machines which sync to the VM,
and which is/are not running in a VM themselves.  That assumes the
other machines are running ntpd -- it's no wonder they can sync if
they're using ntpdate or similar.

If the customer remains intransigent, ask yourself why?  Perhaps
they're looking for an excuse to back out of a purchase.

Cheers,
Dave Hart