[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Sep 14 22:03:50 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2009-09-14, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:
>
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:

>>> Red Herring.
>> No, you missed the OT.

sorry I meant 'Off Topic' :-)

>> Anyway "burst" works and I now give myself permission to use
>> "burst" to set time from my own ntp servers which is as good
>> a compromise as any :-)
>
> Great.
>
>> Can you then suggest how it's at all possible for ntpd to be
>> of any use on a mobile connection with such high latency?
>
> Add to that the effects of aggressive power saving.
>
>> I just need to get something working that's significantly
>> better than wristwatch time.
>
> Perhaps you need to choose a different tool.

"ntpd -q" with two pool servers and "burst" specified just for
my own servers has just got me a >4 second correction with step
to within a few ms. That's looking good enough for ntpd to then
keep the netbook within a few ms as existing drift doesn't seem
too bad when powered up (frequency after being connected to lan
was just over 4ppm). Resulting few ms out is ok for me. My own
servers are mostly <5ms (average about 500us).

David