[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

Tue Sep 15 02:12:26 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> BlackLists writes:
>> David Lord wrote:
>>> Can you then suggest how it's at all possible for ntpd
>>>  to be of any use on a mobile connection with such high
>>>  latency?
>
>> Interplanetary Timekeeping ?
>> <http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ipin.html>
>
> IF the latency is known to be symmetric ( which it is
>  on an interplanetary system) then large latency is no
>  problem.

I don't see how they are likely to have symmetric latency.

 e.g.
  The earths orbital velocity is something like 67k mph?
   mars orbital velocity is something like 54k mph?

  If you were to send a message, and wait for a response,
   the planets would by significantly closer or farther
   apart when the response was sent?

   {Then again I know almost nothing about astrophysics.}

> If it is not known to be symmetric and worse, both in
>  and out latencies are variable, then it is pretty well
>  impossible.
>
> Note that despite this, ntp is probably the best you
>  can do. Ie, there are no other procedures which will
>  give you better time with those kind of latencies.

  will be added to the BlackLists.