[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 15 05:51:38 UTC 2009

David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>>> ???

>>> [snip]

>>> [snip]

>>> Great.

>>> Add to that the effects of aggressive power saving.

>>> Perhaps you need to choose a different tool.
>>
>> You could try chrony if you are running Linux or BSD. It might work
>> better under your conditions. Your horrible latencies are worrysome, and
>> make it hard to imagine how anything could work well.

>Seems to be a feature of the Vodafone system here. Punch a hole
>through their network and latency will come down, that's why
>'burst' works, just as explained in the documentation. Vodafone
>have port and nat translation but users aren't assigned a single
>ip address for a session so make several connections and it's
>possible several ip addresses will be used.

>Chrony gave a quicker convergence but doesn't seem to have
>equivalent to 'ntpd -q' and I'm converging from many seconds
>and even with the chrony equivalent of burst it takes too
>long compared to using 'ntpd -q' to set time reasonably close.

Put
initstepslew 10 client1 client3 client6

Which will use the three clients to determine the initial offset and if
greater than 10 sec will step rather than slew.
( change 10 to what you want).

Ie, it is like ntp with burst and -q only more configurable.

>On Ubuntu I can't get both chrony and ntpd to coexist from
>package manager (conflicting packages).

You certainly do not want them both running at the same time. They will
battle each other. I do not know what other stuff could conflict.
chrony gives you the programs chronyd and chronyc and various docs and
init files.