[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Tue Sep 15 14:16:42 UTC 2009

Frank Elsner wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
>> Frank Elsner wrote:
>>>
>>>   [ ... ]

>>> ntp.conf:           driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
>>> /var/lib/ntp/drift: 116.803
>>
>> I know you can now have above this but I've always tried
>> to adjust the kernel in some way to get below 10ppm. My
>> experience has been that ntpd doesn't behave well with
>> drifts > 50ppm and also large drifts take a long while
>> for offset to converge.
>>
>> I didn't post after I'd seen you were useing a vm, but
>> now I see you confirmed you're not :-)
>
> I wonder where this "useing a vm" comes from. Your not the first :-)

I couldn't see vm mentioned in your message.

but it was mentioned in Unruh's message.

! Subject: Re: ntpd: time reset problem
! Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:04:47 GMT

One other way I've seen clock shoot off by very large amount
when under load is with too high a Hz kernel setting. If you
have it set to 1000Hz it may be worth trying 100Hz. Doing
that may degrade network performance though.

David