[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 17 16:07:07 UTC 2009

"David Lord" <> wrote in message
news:7hevfhF2sksi0U1 at mid.individual.net...
[]
> yes, now at endgame when it's all fitting together but not the
> pain getting there. Living inside an LF wavetrap (steel joists
> earth strapped to copper central heating pipes I'm guessing
> = several big shorted loops) doesn't help.
>
> Loop aerial for MSF 580mm (22.75") per side
> <http://www.lordynet.org.uk/resource/photos/ntp/m9081433.jpg>
>
> That aerial can't manage DCF77 as self resonance is too low
> whilst with Conrad module's ferrite aerial there can be many
> periods when signal is lost, mostly evening and morning flips
> between ground and skywave, also but not so regular at any
> other time of day possibly from interference.
>
> David

You'll have to get a GPS puck and wireless PC on the roof!  Safely hidden
in some cupboard up there.  Or even power-line connections (extreme yuk!).
Nice to see how you can use (what I call) chocolate-block connectors.  I
used to be VHF and video, so type-N, BNC (50-ohm and 75-ohm) connectors.
Nowadays it's data over satellite TV - so those horrible F-connectors.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html

I built a loop using multi-strand cable inside a 1m diameter copper
central-heating pipe (the pipe being open circuit, of course!), but at
that time with CRT displays and TVs there was just too much interference.
Having said that, the simple radio clocks which Maplin etc. supply seem to
work fine today - probably a little more signal after the transmitter was
moved north.

Cheers,
David